Things to Do
The beautiful Shenandoah Valley… so much to see and do!
- The major attractions are Shenandoah National Park/Skyline Drive where you can drive, hike, and explore for hours or days and Luray Caverns where underground formations will amaze and delight guests of all ages.
- While in Luray, be sure to enjoy the Hawksbill Greenway with its fantastic walking/biking trail along a rushing creek.
- More interested in horses? Horseback riding by the hour or by the day can be found at Fort Valley Ranch or Jordan Hollow Stables.
- Are you more of a water person? Head to Shenandoah River Adventures or Shenandoah River Outfitters and spend a couple of hours or the whole day on the beautiful Shenandoah River.
- If golfing is more your idea of fun, take in 18 holes at the Shenvalee Golf Resort or Caverns Country Club Resort … or the little ones may prefer mini golf and the water park at Yogi Bear’s Park.
- Everyone will enjoy Lake Arrowhead’s fishing, boating, BBQ facilities, and swimming/relaxing at the beach area. Wineries, historic sites, fairs & festivals, and more indoor and outdoor fun can be found by clicking on the tabs below!
- Indoor Fun
- Outdoor Fun
- Local Links
- And for the kids!
Delicious local restaurants…
***denotes w/in a mile or two of the cabins.
- Baby Moon’s
- Brookside Restaurant
- Circa 31
- ***Ciro’s Pizza & Subs
- Dan’s Steakhouse
- Dominicos Italian Restaurant
- Gathering Grounds
- Gennaro’s Italian Restaurant
- ***Hawksbill Diner
- Rancho Viejo Mexican Grill
- The Speakeasy
- The Valley Cork
- Thornton River Grille (Sperryville)
- ***Tony’s Italian Restaurant
- West Main Market
WINERIES, BREWERIES, CIDERIES & DISTILLERIES
The Shenandoah Valley has clearly emerged as a regional wine leader in the eastern United States and the craft brewery, cidery, and distillery options will not disappoint either! Many are located within easy driving distance of this cabin.
We highly recommend our extremely unique local options: Wisteria Farm & Vineyard is only a mile away and a few miles down the road in downtown Luray you will find The Valley Cork and Hawksbill Brewery. Two local distilleries, River Hill Distillery in Luray and Copper Fox Distillery in Sperryville are wonderful destinations as well. And if hard cider is your pleasure, check out Showalter’s Orchard in Luray, Old Hill Cider in Timberville, or Ciderworks in Winchester.
Visit ShenandoahSpiritsTrail.com for a wonderful compilation of wineries, breweries, cideries & distilleries from Harrisonburg to Winchester.
Visit ShenandoahValleyWineTrail.com for complete information and a trail map of area wineries.
Visit BeerwerksTrail.com for complete information on breweries in the Shenandoah Valley, along with a trail map and upcoming events.
Please be responsible and do not drink and drive. In fact, let someone else do the driving: Time 2 Wine Tours – for shuttle and tour services.
If the weather moves you indoors, no worries! You can stay in the cabin and enjoy some reading, relaxing, or hot tub time on the deck. Or there’s plenty of indoor fun in the area:
- Walking, dining & shopping along Luray’s Main Street
- MUST SEE Hawksbill Trading Company
- The Warehouse Art Gallery
- Luray Caverns (10 minutes from the cabin) – free w/ticket: two museums, Garden Maze, and Rope Adventure Park
- Endless Caverns
- Shenandoah Caverns
- Skyline Caverns
- Cooters Place in the Valley – (calling all Dukes of Hazard fans!)
- Rte 11 Chip Factory
- Luray Zoo
- Massanutten Resort Indoor Water Park
If horseback riding, playing on the Shenandoah River, exploring Shenandoah National Park, golfing, fishing (all mentioned above with links) aren’t enough for you, there’s more to explore! Follow the links below to discover even more things to do in the beautiful Shenandoah Valley:
- Appalachian Adventures
- George Washington National Forest
- Shenandoah Speedway
- Mt. Crawford Creamery
- Page Valley Fly Fishing
- Bear Mountain Zip Lines
- Birdsong Pleasure Garden
- Hawksbill Greenway
- Hawksbill Recreation Park
- Flying Rabbit Sporting Clays
- Showalter’s Orchard
The Commonwealth of Virginia, Old Dominion, the Mother of Presidents…all these names give rightful and proper value to Virginia as an integral part of our nation’s history. This Virginia history is within your reach when you are in the Shenandoah Valley, home of fierce Civil War battles and neighbor to three Presidential Homes, the Virginia Military Institute, and so much more.
- Virginia Museum of the Civil War
- Luray Valley Museum (wonderful small museum, included in your Luray Caverns admission)
- Page County, Virginia in the Civil War
- Virginia Civil War Trail
- Virginia.org Civil War links
- Lexington, VA – home of VMI, Stonewall Jackson House, and more
- James Madison’s Montpelier
- Thomas Jefferson’s Monticello
- James Monroe’s Ash Lawn-Highland
- Woodrow Wilson Presidential Library
- Frontier Culture Museum
- Luray Valley Museum
Enjoy live theatre, current movies in quaint historic buildings, concerts of all types, even Shakespearean drama! Click the venues below for details and be sure to check the Local Links tab for links to even more entertainment options.
- Luray-Page Chamber of Commerce
- Shenandoah National Park/Skyline Drive
- Shenandoah National Park (Nat’l Park Service)
- Luray Zoo
- Skyline Drive/Shenandoah National Park – hiking, biking, picnicking, driving, Ranger-led programs, Skyland and Big Meadows Lodges open seasonally (restaurants)
- Luray Caverns – maze, ropes course, and museums also located there (museums are free w/your Caverns ticket)
- Hawksbill Greenway in Luray – biking, walking, wading, fishing, swimming, picnicking, feed the ducks! Grab sandwiches at West Main Market on Main Street and walk down to the Greenway for a picnic.
- Trail rides at Jordan Hollow Stables (Stanley) or Rivers Bend Ranch (Stanley) or Fort Valley Ranch (Luray)
- Fairview Country Market – 101 S Antioch Road, Luray. Charming grocer offering groceries, sandwiches, old fashioned candy, and homemade donuts on Sat mornings (get there by 9 am!)
- Miniature golf and outdoor water park at Jellystone Park in Luray
- Movie theatre on Main Street, Luray – charming, historic theatre showing new releases
- Ice cream at Flotzie’s (WalMart shopping center, open seasonally)
- Lake Arrowhead (seasonal) – swimming, boating, fishing, picnicking, public beach, pavilions
- Hawksbill Recreation Park (seasonal) – outdoor pool, tot lot
- Great hikes: Storybook Trail in Luray and Stonyman Trail in Shenandoah Nat’l Park
- Massanutten Resort – snow tubing (cold months) and an amazing indoor water park (year-round)
- Mt Crawford Creamery and Rte 11 Chip Factory
- And of course campfires under the stars in your fire pit at the cabin!